We read about the heroes of faith in Hebrews 11 but one man stands out because he had a unique testimony. The man Enoch, he walked with God and he was not because God took him. He also had the testimony that he pleased God.
The Bible tells us that “we walk by faith and not by sight”, and here was a man that was born seven generations after Adam, I’m sure the story of THE FALL would still be fresh on earth. But while the genealogy was been written, Moses had to take a pause and talk about the man Enoch. Why was Enoch different? What set him apart? There are three important fundamental principles that I believe distinguished Enoch that we can also apply in our lives today.
- And Enoch Walked With God. Walking with God is like being in step with someone or something. It is being in agreement or moving at the same speed. In my understanding, Enoch kept pace with God and was in agreement with Him.
- Enoch was a man of faith. His translation from earth to heaven without dying was an act of faith. How do I know this? From the very definition of faith “substance of things hoped for and evidence of things not seen”; for me, this means in his many walks with God, he must have had the rapture revealed to him by God because the hope must come from somewhere. In fact, Enoch prophesied about the second coming of Christ, so there you have it. He believed all that God had revealed and held on to faith and partook of something that would be a reality thousands of years into the future (we are still waiting for the rapture).
- He had the testimony that he pleased God. This is a given because he was a man of faith because without faith it is impossible to please God.
The taking up of Enoch was a shadow of something real that is going to happen in the future. Some have ridiculed Christians over this fact but it is not about whether you believe or not; but as sure as the dawn of the day, the rapture of the saints will occur and you would be caught up only if you have accepted the sacrifice of Jesus.
God came in the form of a human being to reconcile us back to Himself; and while on the cross, He cancelled out every excuse that God does not understand because He bore the sin of the entire human race. He understands that addiction, He understands that need for approval, He understands that craving for human connection that has led some of us down dangerous roads – God understands.
Let’s take a cue from Enoch today and just receive by faith all that God has purposed for us.
- Are you walking in step with God?
Have you agreed with Him to fulfill His purposes in you?
- Has God ever revealed something to you that bordered on the ridiculous that you discarded?
Just like Enoch was taken up by faith, that “ridiculous” idea from God could be the solution to some of earth’s greatest problems, it’s time to pick it up again and run with it by faith.